z-channel instalation

Old 01-09-01, 06:43 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Its time to drywall my unfinished walkout basement.
I will have a teenagers room and a play room down there
when all is finished. I had planned on putting some insulation in those two areas only above the cealing.
I have heard of these resilent metal channels you attatch to floor joists then attatch drywall. They say it reduces noise well. I have a couple problem areas where I have some plumbing slightly below the bottom of floor joists. I
was told I could possible hollow out the drywall in those areas and tape, and that it would look fine. But now I am thinking these metal channels could solve both situations.
Can anyone tell me where to find this stuff, how to measure for it, how it goes on,(would it be easy to do yourself), expense, and anything else they may wish to add pertaining to my situation. Thanks so much!
Old 01-10-01, 12:03 AM
some help
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
It is called R-C channel and is insatalled 16" center at 90* to the existing ceiling joist..you screw one edge to joist, it looks like z-bar and the you screw the sheet rock on the lower edge and yes it works..You can find it at mostoutlet stores that sell a lot of sheet rock..if not find a sheet rock distributor in the yellow pages if he can not sell it to you he will know where you can get it..one of his customers.....

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: