insulation and heated crawl space

Old 12-19-11, 09:23 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
insulation and heated crawl space

I have an unfinished crawl space under two rooms in house. Dirt floor with poly vapor barrier on it. Walls are concrete block, uninsulated. House has hot water heat, with finned tube lines going thru the crawl space attached to the ceiling of crawl space/floor of room above to supply baseboard heaters in room above. Seems as if I am losing a lot of heat? Should I insulate the piping or insulate over the piping and finned tubes? Mid 1950's construction.

Old 12-19-11, 09:54 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Old 12-19-11, 10:16 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Crawl spaces need to either be vented to the outside or heated and cooled as interior space - the choice is yours. Regardless, you should insulate the water pipes and I would insulate the floor.

If you search this sub-forum, there have been a lot of good threads on this topic recently.

Update: I apparently had this window open for a while before responding, Bud got in more than 20 minutes ahead of me. Read the article he linked for you.

Old 12-19-11, 11:53 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
venting/heating

thanks......seems as if mines not bad off myabe Ill just leave the access door from the heated basement to it open and give it a bit more inside air

Old 12-19-11, 02:15 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
In Iowa I would think it best to insulate those crawl space walls. A single pane of glass in an olw window is considered r-1. An 8 inch concrete wall is considered r-1. In other words, whatever heat you send in there won't be there long. Even a 1" layer of rigid foam board would make a huge difference. Seal the house to foundation and insulate the rim above the concrete and you have made great progress.

Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: