How to repair my roof truss - web pieces

Old 01-02-12, 12:14 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to repair my roof truss - web pieces

[I have two similar posts - but they aren't duplicates. This post is about the web pieces, the other is about a bottom chord. They seem like separate topics to me.]

We're about to blow in cellulose before winter turns nasty, completing a several month long attic project (air sealing, replacing electrical). I've seen a few pieces of wood that look like they need reinforcement.

It's a 1000sqft ranch, with a Fink truss gable roof. The webs that go from the bottom chord to the top chord at the peak of the roof are 1x6's. The webs that go from the bottom chord to the middle of the top chord are 2x4's.

Question 1 - Do I need to fix the issues in the pictures below? Or, if you saw them, would you leave them be? I think all of them need attention, except the small split by a nail on the 2x4.

Question 2 - If I need to fix the issues, how do I do it? I've been reading today, and have gotten the impression that a good way to go would be cutting 1x6 plywood strips, and screwing them to both sides of the existing 1x6's. I'd cut them to be almost the same length as the web that I was reinforcing. I've been getting the impression that reinforcements need to be a lot longer than you'd think at first. I've also been getting the impression that plywood is better to use than other types of wood.

In case it helps, here are some overall pictures of my truss system:

Old 01-02-12, 06:28 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
To say the least, it is somewhat an unconventional way of building trusses. Normally they are factory made and utilize 2x4's and nailing plates. There are no members nailed to the sides of the bottom chord. They are all in line. However, with that said, if the members give you reason for concern, you can always sister the 1x6's with newer lumber, screwing them together. The knots don't raise flags, as does the nail split. The cracked member maybe could use some help. I would not remove any of the members, as this is a system, and all the parts are needed to make it complet.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: