How to repair my roof truss - Cut bottom chord

Old 01-02-12, 12:34 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to repair my roof truss - Cut bottom chord

[I have two similar posts - but they aren't duplicates. This post is about the web pieces, the other is about a bottom chord. They seem like separate topics to me.]

We're about to blow in cellulose before winter turns nasty, completing a several month long attic project (air sealing, replacing electrical).

It's a 1000sqft ranch, with a Fink truss gable roof.

Some idiot(s) in the past cut a piece out of the bottom chord, where it is above a kitchen soffet. It's just waiting to collapse into my kitchen! The cut on the right side of this picture is attached to a wall top plate. I believe this wall is load bearing, because the wall is for a hallway that goes through the middle of the house beneath the roof peak. The cut on the left side of this picture is attached to a kitchen soffet top plate. No structural integrity there.

The angle of this picture makes it look like the oven vent goes through where the bottom chord would have been. But that's an illusion from the angle it's taken from. There's about 6-8" between where the bottom chord would be to the side of the vent, plenty of room to make repairs. I guess a previous kitchen layout must have needed a vent where the bottom chord was, and some idiot(s) didn't know he couldn't do this.

I'm thinking that I could cut out a piece of wood to fill the gap, and act against the two sides being compressed toward each other.

I'm thinking then that I could put 2x4's on each side of the bottom chord, and screw them in. I'd have this extend almost all the way from the front of the house to the back. I know it would need to be a lot longer than just the missing gap.

Would this be a good way to go? If so, should I use regular 2x4's, or plywood?

You will see on the right, the bottom chord has an extra piece of wood on each side of it. All the bottom chords have this around where the roof peak is. Not sure if these provide extra support, or if it's so it's easier to walk along the center.

In case it helps, here are some overall pictures of my truss system:

Old 01-02-12, 06:23 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I don't think you have an emergency at this point since the soffit is being held by adjacent chords. BUT, to make it right, I would sister the two pieces with 2x4's on either side screwing as you indicated. In order to do that, however, you will need to build out the left chord to match the right chord with what I assume are 1x4's, so your sisters are parallel.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: