Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Want to replace 30" X 20" tilt-in window with egress qualified window

Old 01-06-12, 11:51 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I am doing some basement finishing and would like to replace an existing 30" X 20" tilt-in vinyl window with a larger window that meets minimum egress requirements. Existing window is in a 12" cement block wall just above exterior grade level. Plan to cut out one or two more courses of block giving me a rough opening of 32" X 32" or 32" X 40". Having trouble finding an egress qualified window that is designed to go into this type of space. Was looking for a double hung with both top and bottom panes tilt/removable giving adequate clear opening for egress. Is there a problem with that plan?

Thanks,

Dave P

Old 01-06-12, 07:06 PM
B
You need to be no more than 44" off floor so double check your figures and make sure the window is deep enough to be at that height off floor. It sounds like youi are going to have to remove another course or two doesn't it. You also need 5.0 square feet and for obvious reasons casement windows work better then double hungs for egress purposes so far as I can see. With that grade this high you will also need A window well or retaining wall with a built in step. Check Bilco manufacturing for ready to assemble wells for basement egress. They are the same company that makes those nice basement access steel doors.

bs5

Old 01-07-12, 05:36 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
depatlake....
Just to be clear....an egress window must satisfy four criteria:

Minimum width of opening: 20 in.

Minimum height of opening: 24 in.

Minimum net clear opening: 5.7 sq. ft. (5.0 sq. ft. for ground floor).

Maximum sill height above floor: 44 in

The window must have a minimum net clear opening of 5.7 sq. ft. Net clear opening refers to the actual free and clear space that exists when the window is open. It is not the rough opening size or the glass panel size, but the actual opening a person can crawl through.

The window opening must be operational from the inside without keys or tools. Bars, grilles and grates may be installed over windows but must be operational without tools or keys and still allow the minimum clear opening.

You might assume that a 20-in. by 24-in. window would be acceptable for egress. However, those dimensions would yield a net clear opening of only 3.3 sq. ft. To achieve the required net clear opening of 5.7 sq. ft., a 20-in. wide window would have to be 42 in. high. Likewise, a 24-in. high window would have to be 34 in. wide.

Notice the requirement is when the window is opened normally, not by removing sashes. In a DH window that would be opening the upper or lower sash fully, but not tilting or removing them.

As BS said...casements with the correct hardware work better. Notice I said correct hardware...you can have 2 identically sized casements with different hardware...one will meet egress, one won't.

Old 01-09-12, 04:04 PM
D
Thanks BS5 - I have looked at casement windows, but so far have not found anything that will fit in a 32" wide rough opening and is available in something like a 30" to 36" height. I don't want to go deeper than necessary outside. I am aware of the 44" interior height requirement and will address that also.

DP

Old 01-09-12, 04:11 PM
D
OK - I guess double hung won't work for me. I'll start looking for custom height casements that will fit my 32" wide rough opening. I don't want to go wider because of the lintel over the window opening and I want to keep the height as short as possible to keep the well depth minimum.

DP

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: