Condensation in attic that I am finishing. Help!

Old 01-16-12, 05:16 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Usa
Posts: 1
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Condensation in attic that I am finishing. Help!

I am finishing my attic, but am having condensation issues. I have a ridge vent along the top of my ceiling, so I staples styrofoam baffle vents along ever column, then staples my insulation over top of that. Now, I have a wall that divides that slanted ceiling on either side so I made sure that the vents went through the top of the wall all the way down to the bottom of the slated ceiling. We placed dry wall on the part that is to be finished, but when I reached inside the insulation from inside the walled area (this is to remain storage) I felt moisture between the insulation and the styrofoam vents. And the wood feels a little wet. There is no actual outside air ventilation at the very bottom. Just from the ridge vent along the top. There is only condensation along the north side of our house. Please help!!!
Old 01-16-12, 05:22 AM
chandler's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 36,608
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Without incoming fresh air to circulate to the ridgevent, you don't have a complete system. I know you are finishing it, but you need to have soffit vents outside your knee wall to allow outside air to circulate and keep the moisture at bay. The knee wall needs to be super insulated as well.
Old 01-16-12, 05:41 AM
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New England
Posts: 9,453
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Here is a quick picture of the two insulation options for those side attics, but both of these involve incoming fresh air as Chandler has said. We will need to discuss how to get the fresh air you need if you go this route.

There is another approach which I am not entirely familiar with and that is eliminating the venting and for example foaming the rafter bays with complete insulation. This should be investigated beyond my knowledge, but it is called a "hot roof" method.


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: