Enlarged Basement Windows

Old 01-14-01, 02:55 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

If I wanted to enlarge basement windows, would a "window" contractor be the person to do a turnkey job, or would it require one contractor to alter the foundation and one to install the new windows? In other words, I would like to let more light into a basement, so I would like to increase the "height" of the existing windows (current dimensions ~ 2'w x 1'h). This seems simple enough, the window "cut out" in the poured foundation would have to be made deeper, and window wells would have to be installed. Any ideas who to call?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-01, 01:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Look under "Concrete" or "Foundation" in your yellow pages. You'll find contractors that advertise exactly this service.

Old 01-15-01, 04:14 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would call a window contractor. Not a problem at all for them. They have all the right tools for concrete walls, and finishing. With them you will only need one contractor. It is usually about a one full day job. More dusty then hard. If you have the window contractor do the job your warranty will be good. Concrete guys are usually
a little more expensive, and not too good at finishing. but very good at concrete. Believe me I know.

Old 01-15-01, 10:48 AM
Visiting Guest
We are planning on doing the same thing. We currently have 2 slider windows in the basement and wish to install large windows in their place. We have a concrete block wall and the windows are currently held in place by concrete smoothed on by the mason who built the basement. I was planning on removing the sliders, cutting the block with a masonary wheel on my circular saw, installing nailers on the four sides of the opening, and installing a new window. I've never cut masonary before and hopefully will be able to do so with little or no crumbling of the block.