Attic Bedroom Window Codes

Old 01-26-12, 01:53 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Attic Bedroom Window Codes

I have been working on adding an additional 1100 sq ft in my upstairs. It was ready with bathroom plumbing and electrical when the house was originally built. There is a double bay window in the front of this space with an open space to the area where the 2 bedrooms would go on the backside. The problem with this is that there is no way to install a window without it being a dormer window which the seal would be chest high in one room and impossible to install any window in the other. Does code require additional windows in those bedrooms considering the open area outside these rooms has the double bay window? Both doors to those bedrooms would open up to the open space where this double bay window is.
Thanks

Old 01-26-12, 02:35 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,950 Upvotes on 1,746 Posts
You did not say where you are located so we can't speak to your codes. Contact your local inspectors and ask them to get the official answer. Where I am in NC there must be two avenues of egress from every bedroom. If the bay window in not in the bedroom it does not count. If there were a fire in the space outside the bedrooms there is no escape route.

The second egress does not have to be a window. It can be another door. A neighbor recently installed a master bedroom in their attic area. They already had dormers which they thought would be OK but the windows were too small to qualify as exits so that had to come up with a plan B. They installed a back door in the bedroom that led to the attic space over a carport where they installed a trap door and folding ladder satisfying the second escape route requirement.

Old 01-26-12, 04:09 PM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bryan County Ga. Was thinking it was a problem. One bedroom could have a door in the closet leading to the attic above garage but the other one does not have that available and is the one were a rear dormier space is not available. Would a workable sky window with ladder work in that case? Also I could put in a door leading to the attic but would be on the opposite side to the house that the garage is on so it would be a walk to get to the garage attic.
Thanks Mac

Old 01-26-12, 07:33 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
As mentioned earlier, contact your local code people. You need their blessings for whatever you do.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: