Garage loft storage area. Couple questions.

Old 07-13-13, 05:50 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bridgeman,

Thanks for responding! As I mentioned below, I'd like to have a live load capacity of 40 lbs/sqft. I will be storing normal household goods, kids toys, seasonal decorations, spare tools, maybe a couple boxes of books or very small furniture (like an end table or coffee table). There will be no bowling balls, portland cement bags, or used engine blocks :-)

For the carrier beam I want to laminate 2 (or 3 if needed) 2x10s with 1/2" plywood sandwiched in between. I will use generous amounts of wood glue for the lamination and then drive 4" screws every foot or so for added strength. This is how others who have built these beams have instructed me to do it, I didnt just make that idea up.

I will use 4x4 post-to-beam brackets to set the beam on top of 4x4s at each end that will be lagged to the wall studs and then tie the beam to the ledgers on each side with angle brackets to keep it all together.

The 2x6 (or 2x8) joists will run in the "short" direction (8 ft) from the back wall ledger to the carrier beam and attached with joist hangers 16" on center.

As I mentioned below, one of my concerns is whether 2x6's are enough. By checking joist span calculators I believe 2x6s over 8 feet at 16" can support plenty more than 40 lbs/sqft and since this approximately 19' span would require 14 of them, switching to 2x8s will add significant weight to the structure (and to the carrier beam's load) which I dont want to add if it isnt needed.

I definitely dont want to do an inverted T with 2x6s over such a long span, but I would like to make sure that 2 2x10 and 1/2" plywood will be enough to prevent sag or whether I need a third 2x10.

I will use 2x12s if absolutely needed, but would like to avoid them because I am already approaching the 3 foot mark in terms of head room for the loft and I dont want to eat up any more space. But if it begins to sag in the middle, it will begin to interfere with the garage door opener.

As far as tying it to the top, I have a second floor above the garage, not roof rafters and my garage has a finished ceiling and is 12' high. I COULD get up there and hunt for floor joists with a stud finder and try to toenail something up there to support the middle, but I'm not sure how successful that endeavor will be.

Your input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 07-13-13, 05:55 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bridgeman, I am moving my response over to my other thread for continuity. I felt like I should start a new thread since I had a new question.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: