Backed up sink and leak

Old 03-11-12, 05:21 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 1
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Backed up sink and leak

Hey everyone,

I recently noticed my kitchen sink is backed up and when I run the garbage disposal there's a leak in my basement. It's coming from a seal where 2 pipes meet because it's worn out but I dont know if that has anything to do with the backup. I guess I have to find a way to seal the pipes and then figure out how to unclog the line?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Old 03-11-12, 06:08 PM
Group Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 26,332
Received 1,852 Upvotes on 1,658 Posts
It sounds like you have two separate problems. A leaking or broken pipe and a clog.

Probably most important is the leak. Are you pipes plastic or metal? If plastic it could be a simple matter of buying some primer & glue and re-glueing the joint or tightening a clamp on a rubber boot. The first step is to find the source of the leak.

For your clog I would first check the trap under the sink. Clean out all the clutter under the sink and you should see the trap. It's J or P shaped and probably has a nut on either end. Put a big bowl or bucket underneath and unscrew the nuts (lefty loosey, counter clockwise) to remove the trap. A bit of stinky water water will drain out but the clog is usually in the curved trap or in the piece right under the sink.
Old 03-12-12, 03:19 PM
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wilmington
Posts: 3,994
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The trap is occasionally the problem, but it is usually the nipple/elbow at the wall where the trap emptys. Stuff accumulates at that elbow and in the wall nipple and slows everything. Remove the trap and whatever is connected to the wall nipple. Look inside. If it is clear, I am wrong, and the clog is downstream.

If the drain pipe below is iron, the likely leak problem is easy to fix. The joint has a lead seal that has loosend over time. Tap it down with a large punch or similar so it if fits the joint more tightly.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: