Attic Insulation

Old 01-15-01, 06:54 PM
Visiting Guest
My friend just recently bought a house here in Maryland and it is about 30 years old. We got some snow about a week ago and I noticed some tell-tale signs of heat escaping through the attic and melting the snow on the roof. The second floor bedrooms have partially sloped ceilings to match the grade of the roof and the insulation up there, what there is of it, just wraps around the living space itself with exception of the vertical walls. It doesn't run all the way up to the pinnacle.

We are just starting on the process of replacing the old and edcaying insulation and adding insulation that runs all the way up. My question is about ventilation between the insulation and the roof. Since the space isn't going to be used and has vents at either end, is it necessary to put the inserts between the insulation and the roof itself?

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Old 01-16-01, 09:18 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The vents on the end are gable vents. You should also have soffit vents where the roof sits on the outside walls of the house. Don't block the airflow of these soffit vents with the insulation. Read other posts in this forum and you will find that Home Depot, or any of the big box stores, has plastic inserts that fit between the rafters or trusses that will prevent this, of you could fashion your own baffles out of plywood or OSB. Don't have to be much -- 3/8" is plenty. Just to keep the insulation from blocking the airflow.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: