Basement stairs - Finishing problem

Old 04-15-12, 12:52 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Basement stairs - Finishing problem

Here's the deal, staircase is in, need to figure out how to use drywall, and trim to blend the wall in. It's a really messed up ledge with an underset staircase. (Stairs are under the wall on one side)

My only real option that I can see is to remove the stairs, narrow the treads by an inch, and bring the stair risers in to match. This will allow me to put a 1/2"x12" pine board running the length of the riser and flush up against one side, but still have the underset on the otherside. Drywall would stay in place, but it still would not come out flush.

This is a mess, hate the way the walls were setup. Help!!!

https://plus.google.com/photos/10151...CJ-EkOCmh9n7Gw

Old 04-15-12, 02:23 PM
T
Whether the stud walls were built first, and the stairs measured off the gap, or the stairs were put in first and the walls built up to them, either way the staircse is obviously too wide for the stairwell.But if it's only a basement staircase, why go to the bother of altering it?

Old 04-15-12, 04:37 PM
J
I tend to agree. Whether or not the basement is finished, don't narrow the stairs. That makes it harder to get anything in or out of the basement. If you feel it is needed, just put some quarter round or shoe molding along the steps/walls.

Old 04-16-12, 09:24 AM
Like the prior posts, I would not change the stairs themselves at all. You did not mention what you were going to do with the stairs - carpet or replace treads for stained wood look. If carpet, this is not very hard. Use the pine board idea mentioned earlier, but use a 1x12" board running the entire length. Get yourself some paper or cardboard and make a template going the entire length of the stairwell. Leave about 3/8" gap between each tread & riser on your template. The template does not need to look pretty, its just a template for the board. Transfer that template to the 1x12 board, cut to fit & round the top corner (edge) as desired. Locate the studs behind the drywall & attach with nails. Repeat for the other side, you can probably still use the same template but remember it gets tranferred on the backside this time. The carpet then gets tucked into the 3/8th gap you left. It will look great & customized, because you did the customization.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: