Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Finishing basement question; I need someone to design it?

Old 05-20-12, 05:38 PM
D
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts

I had a contractor come over to my house this weekend and he has told me that he needs it designed by an architect and approved in order for it to be up to code. Is this the case?

If so are there any recommendations on people in the Atlanta area?

Old 05-21-12, 12:43 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Call your building department people and get the necessary details from them. Sounds like your "contractor" might be smoking something not quite legal. Every year in this country thousands of project plans are submitted and approved by local AHJ without an architect's blessing.

Old 05-21-12, 03:14 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I agree with bridgeman. So long as you aren't changing the structural capabilities of the house (supports, beams, etc.) I don't see why you couldn't design your own basement, submit the plans to the inspector's office for approval. Your contractor it appears just doesn't want to be bothered with doing a design. Is the plumbing stubbed in the concrete already? That will be your largest hurdle. You will probably have to enlist the services of a plumber and electrician, but the remainder is DIY, and we can help.

Old 05-21-12, 06:41 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
I'd have a couple more contractors come out and see what they say.

Old 05-21-12, 11:58 AM
D
Yeah. I spoke with him, and some other contractors....basically we're finishing the basement up. I brought him in with literally no plans whatsoever so I can understand where he's coming from. He had a design idea but not really anything beyond that and what I'm looking at doing is at once extremely simple and also very difficult. I've basically got an L shaped basement and Something as simple as a drop ceiling would make the place look much better but I really want to be sure that I cover the furnace and other areas.

Old 05-22-12, 11:30 AM
D
I've never done anything like this before...what do you mean by submitting them to the inspector?

Old 05-22-12, 11:40 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Creating your own plans and getting them to the same person your contractor said needs to approve plans.

Old 05-22-12, 02:49 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
You can call the permit office and ask them what they expect you to provide when you come in for the permit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: