Possible Mold Issue

Old 07-08-12, 01:53 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Possible Mold Issue

Hi, I noticed this blue coloring on some ceiling joists in the basement and I wanted to see if this is anything I should be worried about:

Name:  Passport 010.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  32.3 KB
Name:  Passport 009.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  24.6 KB
Name:  Passport 013.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  25.7 KB
Name:  Passport 012.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  22.9 KB

Is this mold or something else? What should I do to take care of it?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-12, 02:17 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
It almost looks like some spray paint from the lumber yard. Do you know if it was there earlier?

Old 07-08-12, 03:55 PM
G
I agree! I would be more concerned of screws in the doubled joist and lack of hangers or ledger. (Unless "structural" screws).

Gary

Old 07-08-12, 03:58 PM
M
Thanks. That's what I am hoping; that it's just paint or something. I didn't notice it before, but I may have just missed it, so I can't say that it wasn't there before with any certainty.

Old 07-09-12, 06:07 AM
M
GBR in WA, sorry I didn't notice your post because I posted around the same time. This is a little embarrassing but I'm a novice, and I screwed that board in to provide something for me to screw the wall framing into.

I removed that board and took some pictures again:

Name:  Passport 017.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  22.8 KBName:  Passport 015.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  25.2 KBName:  Passport 016.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  24.8 KB

The board I removed has none of that blue substance, so hopefully that means it was already there and it's just paint or something.

Old 07-09-12, 08:50 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I screwed that board in to provide something for me to screw the wall framing into.
I think what Gary may have been reacting to is this: Framing fasteners need to be able to hold in tension - resist backing out - and hold in torsion - resist shear forces, or forces that would act across them and break them. That's why 16d "sinkers," with the coating that melts as the nail is driven and then sets to hold it them in place, have been the basic go-to fasteners for 2X framing for decades.

Sometimes we decide that a piece will be under greater force in tension than is normal, so we'll decide to fasten it with screws instead of nails. And a lot of times we reach for a black screw that is basically a drywall screw to do that. The problem with doing that is that those screws can be very brittle. That is they have very little structural strength compared to even standard screws, and they snap easily under shear forces.

It appears, from the silver color of the screw head in your picture, that you didn't use those. But the point Gary makes is a good one to keep in mind.