Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Can I remove these studs to open up wall between stairs and basement?

Old 07-12-12, 09:07 PM

Hello everyone,
I am new to the forums here and looking for some guidence with my basement remodel I am planning. I used to have a wall between the stairway and the living area. I would like to open this up and create a nice railing, but I am not sure if the studs are structural. I am not opposed to putting a floor to ceiling column at the base of the stairs, but would prefer to not have to do this. Here are some pictures, I can take more if needed. Above the stairway is the staircase going to the second level, if that helps at all. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3

Picture 4

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-12, 10:06 PM
Welcome to the forums!

Are you asking about the two blue 2 x 4s?

Old 07-13-12, 12:10 AM
Unless I'm missing something, the blue studs don't appear to be load-bearing. But I am definitely missing (as in don't see) the wall you are talking about removing.

P.S. The stairway needs a hand railing.

Old 07-13-12, 03:17 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
There definitely needs to be support at the end of the staircase where all the beams come together. I know you may want to eliminate that, but since you have a second floor staircase that is also supported at this juncture, it will be a weak point. As Bridgeman said, the staircase needs a handrail system, anyway, so you can install a balustrade and use the column post as a newel post to terminate it.

Old 07-13-12, 11:05 AM
It looks to me that they're not structural in that they're holding up the floor above, but from the placement, looks like they're supporting the drywall above.

Do these 2x4's run to the ground, or are they attached to the stairs?

From my perspective (not professional, please don't take this as gospel), there's a full joist supporting the above structure.

Old 07-13-12, 01:34 PM
Erik, there is, but remember there are two floors above. He has to install a balustrade, so he may as well eliminate the possibility of sagging floor at the joint and install a post. although there is a full double joist, there are three that are bridged. Pushing the envelope, IMO. Good point, though. And, I agree, those 2x6's aren't supportive in and of themselves.

Old 07-13-12, 01:51 PM
Yeah, if you're going to install the handrails anyway, might as well shore up that corner. I'm sure you can find or fashion something decorative yet supportive to put there at the base of the steps.

Old 07-13-12, 07:44 PM
As Chandler said- the upper stairs stringer point load lands there. (Possible problem as we don't know how/if the stringer was fastened to each stud above (distributed load)) in the running wall. If it wasn't above, no problem, as you are under the IBC which allows 4'- then only double joist. If your tail joists are under 12' (appear to be about 9'?). Illinois Building Codes

Page #59, 2308.8.2 here; http://www.ce.udel.edu/courses/CIEG4...%20-%20IBC.pdf

Did you read 2308.8.3 about solid blocking (yours is missing) over bearing at the ends of joists?

Ask your local AHJ (about the point load- they may allow it) when you apply for the building permit to satisfy your H.O.Insurance carrier, if ever a claim...

Gary

Old 07-14-12, 07:29 AM
Thanks for all the replies, they are very helpful.

I forgot the mention, the drywall has been removed, the wall used to be between the stairs and basement. I had some water, which has been taken care of. I have decided to go with wood studs instead of the metal which was used, so I took everything out (except those two wood ones).

There was a handrail along that wall, and I plan to put one in so no worries there. I was thinking about something like this:

Name:  4555612809.jpg
Views: 67722
Size:  28.1 KB

The two 2x6s do run to the ground, not just the staircase. So it looks like if I use a column like in the picture above, I should be fine to remove both those 2x6s.

As for "solid blocking", I have no idea what that means. I'm still new to all the terminology.

Old 07-14-12, 01:33 PM
The set up in the pix is a great one. Solid blocking....see Pix 1 on your original post. Beside and beyond each blud 2x6 there is a space between the joisting. Solid blocking would have eliminated all that space. After all, nothing there, equals no support there, either. Let us know how you fare with the project and post a pix.

Old 07-15-12, 09:20 AM
Thanks, I will certainly post pictures but it might be a while. I'm insulating right now and then I'll start framing. And I have to do a bit of research on how to frame that wall and build that banister before I start.

Old 07-17-12, 11:36 AM
This is what mine looks like except that the handrail only goes half-way up, and then I have a continuation of the wall.

If you don't get something like in that picture to pretty up the post, in my case I had these plastic square things attached my metal lally column upon which strips of wood could be attached and finally drywall. As such the column is just a square continuation of drywall like on the wall and ceiling.

Old 08-14-12, 05:42 AM
I haven't gotten to the rail yet because I started framing other parts first to get the hang of things, but I did remove the 2x6 at the bottom and found it was only attached to the side fo the stairs with two nails, not attached to the concrete. Is it safe to assume it was not structural then?

Old 08-22-12, 02:29 PM
I did remove the 2x6 at the bottom and found it was only attached to the side fo the stairs with two nails, not attached to the concrete. Is it safe to assume it was not structural then?
Yes, it was definitely not providing any structural support.