Framing an opening in a load-bearing wall

Old 07-29-12, 02:13 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Framing an opening in a load-bearing wall

Hello,

We have a 1938 home with a finished daylight basement. My husband has decided to put a doorway between the family room and the basement bedroom, underneath a large ceiling beam that's almost 7" wide and at least 8" high. Will the ceiling beam act as a header for a 36" doorway beneath it? (One of the doorway edges will be another load-bearing wall perpendicular to the ceiling beam.)

Thanks.

Old 07-29-12, 03:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Installing a door should present no problem as long as vertical structural support is restored to the beam on either side of the door (king studs). What is the measurement from the floor to the bottom of the beam?

Old 07-29-12, 04:35 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi Chandler! Thanks for the response. It's a tight clearance (no surprise since it's a basement) of 75". I think we'll be looking at a special-order door or, alternately, Jordan (the husband) is thinking about making an short "passage" between the family room and the bedroom door but that also means moving the existing studs to a wider spacing to allow passage and I'm afraid of weakening the structural integrity. Those studs are very old 3"x4"s. Any suggestions? - Laura

Old 07-29-12, 06:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Laura, is it 75" to the bottom of the beam, or to the existing ceiling in the rest of the room? You won't reduce the integrity by making a passage under the beam. You can probably make a passage between 36 and 48" wide as long as you restore the side vertical structure to keep the beam supported. In doing that, you can install a normal door in an opening beyond or ahead of the beam.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: