Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

how to stop water seepage in old concrete basement wall

Old 10-29-12, 08:13 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

old farmhouse with basement. one of the concrete walls seeps water slowly (as in drips) in a number of places along the 30' - 40' length when it rains. other part of the house is on top of the ground that is behind this wall so i can't readily dig it up. previous occupants just dug small 4"-wide channels along the basement floor (part dirt, part old concrete in places) to a main floor drain. been patching heavier leaks with hydraulic cement as I find them. want to know if I can use thin coating of hydraulic cement to seal the entire wall. Or is there a better product to seal the wall other than waterproofing paint such as DryLok?

tired of the dampness!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-12, 06:39 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Water needs to be moved away from the wall on the outside but you say this cannot be done -can you elaborate on why not?

Old 10-30-12, 06:12 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
back part of the house was an addition to the original house so it sits on top of the section of ground that is behind this weeping basement wall. I guess I'm hearing that no amount of hydraulic cement is going to stop the water from seeping in until I stop the water itself...like the finger-in-the-dike analogy, right?

I suppose it's possible to use french drains along the outside perimeter to channel the water away. forgot to mention that the house sits between two underground springs, one of which is our water supply. other spring is about 30' from house.

other than french drains, what are my options to make the basement dry or at least, less damp?

Old 10-30-12, 08:52 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Hard to say without seeing it but I always start on the outside.