attic ladder repair

Old 11-13-12, 07:23 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
attic ladder repair

I have an American Standard "Husky" attic ladder. The spreader arm braces began bending almost immediately after we installed the ladder. It has now gotten bad enough that we can't easily open or close the stairs. We would like to replace the arms with another brand since we had such bad luck with the original product. Is there another model or brand that would be more durable? Can these be interchanged at all?

Old 11-14-12, 02:54 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Most likely the style you have has the lightest weight rating available, and thusly the cheapest design. Box stores carry different ratings, so you may need to replace the entire assembly. That would be my choice. I would not attempt to retrofit existing pieces with one off the shelf. Be safe and do it right, by replacing it all. Personally, I like the metal tread designs, but they are the most expensive, so one step down would be a preferred range of style and price.

Old 11-14-12, 05:22 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Could your ladder be from American Stairways instead of American Standard? If so, check their website. It looks like they offer replacement parts. They probably can sell you a replacement or offer it under warranty parts like you currently have. I really doubt they will be able to tell you if parts from a heavier duty model will work on your ladder but it's worth a try.

Old 11-14-12, 03:35 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Another option is to fabricate new brace members yourself, using heavier flat stock than the originals were made of. Trying to order replacement bits from the manufacturer is likely to eventually put you where you are right now, with the replacements being identical in strength and performance as the original parts were. A few years ago, I was in a similar predicament as you are--I made 4 new braces from much heavier flat steel stock, by cutting, drilling and bending them to perfectly duplicate the originals (other than being much stiffer, and no longer prone to bending or buckling).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: