Mold and condensation in attic!

Old 11-29-12, 09:02 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mold and condensation in attic!

Over one room in my house there was no insulation for some reason. Under the vapor barrier was a lot of moisture and some mold. There was condensation dripping off the ceiling in the bed room. I'm just wondering how bad it has to get before you should just gut the room. My inspector said if I just insulate it the moisture will dry up and the mold will die.... I don't know much about this so I was hoping for a second opinion... Thanks

Old 11-29-12, 09:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,423 Votes on 1,315 Posts
My inspector said if I just insulate it the moisture will dry up and the mold will die.... I don't know much about this so I was hoping for a second opinion... Thanks
What inspector ? The home inspector ?

Definitely a second opinion.....this is not my line of work but that is not how I would handle that problem. I would want the mold removed first.

Old 11-30-12, 05:19 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 384 Votes on 340 Posts
If water has been dripping off of the ceiling, I'd be inclined to replace the ceiling. If you hope to keep the ceiling, check it closely to make sure that the drywall is solid and level [not sagging between joists] Any water stains will need to be coated with a solvent based primer so they won't bleed thru the finish paint.

Old 11-30-12, 08:37 AM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Dry it up before you insulate. The mold will not dye it will go dormant. if mold is there treat it first.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: