Basement Framing Questions

Old 01-30-01, 09:20 AM
L West
Visiting Guest
Question

I had a county inspector come out and do a site survey prior to obtainaing a buliding permit to finish my basement.

I have one door opening that I will have to change from 3' to a 6' cased opening to meet code since this room has only one way in/out. This is on a load bearing wall. The inspector pulled out a chart and said a 2 x 10 header will be sufficent for the 6' opening. Is this correct?

I don't have any jack posts in my basement. All of the support comes from 2 x 6 load bearing walls framed on 16" centers. Do you think changing the opening to 6' will result in any probelms?

What I'm unsure of is foundation support. When using support walls in lieu of jack posts do buliders typically pour footers where the support walls sit or do the support walls simply set on the basment slab?

Also, when framing non-load bearing walls in my basement should I install a 2 x 10 header over door openings (like my load bearing walls have) or will framing without a header or a smaller header be sufficent and meet building code?

Thanks... this site has been a tremendous help and learning tool for this project!

Old 01-30-01, 05:55 PM
J974
Visiting Guest
When supporting one floor,ceiling, and roof. A 2x10 can span upto 8 ft. As far as your slab foundation, it should have a bearing partition footing under the slab. Drill into yor slab and see how thick it is. If your slab is at least 3 to 4 in. thick I wouldn't be to worried about a 6ft opening being headered. You do not need 2x10 headers for non bearing walls. Save your money!

Old 01-31-01, 05:21 AM
L West
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the input. My slab is app. 6" thick so I'm OK there.

Would you recommend a smaller header on the non-load bearing walls or none at all?

Old 01-31-01, 04:19 PM
J974
Visiting Guest
I would use 2x4 headers for the non bearing walls. You really don't need them but it makes for a better job.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: