Fasten bottom plate to floor or foundation?

Old 12-17-12, 09:59 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Fasten bottom plate to floor or foundation?

Hey all,

I am framing out my block basement walls for drywall and I am wondering what to do about my bottom plate. I have an interior french drain system, so the perimeter of the floor 8 inches out from the foundation is thin concrete covering my perimeter drain. I only want to use 2x2's to furr out the foundation if possible.

Can I fasten the bottom plate to the foundation rather than the floor? Or am I stuck bringing the wall out 8 inches from the foundation to clear the interior drain?

Here is a drawing of the basement perimeter (see attachment). I want to drywall the upper foundation, footer/ledge, and the lower foundation. Suggestions on the best way to approach this?

Thanks,
Derek

DIY'er

Attached Images  
Old 12-17-12, 10:10 PM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Can I fasten the bottom plate to the foundation rather than the floor? Or am I stuck bringing the wall out 8 inches from the foundation to clear the interior drain?
Sure. I'm thinking I would frame the furring on the floor to be about 1" shorter than the foundation height, then stand it up on some 1" spacer blocks and attach it to the foundation.

PT wood for everything, right? And screws rated for use in PT wood to join the sill plate to the studs.

Old 12-17-12, 10:20 PM
D
Thanks for the welcome and the quick response. That sounds like a great plan. Using PT for everything!

~Derek

Old 12-18-12, 05:11 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I would also not go poking holes in a perfectly good wall with screws. Use PL Advanced or an equivalent adhesive to secure the 2x2's to the wall, including the bottom one, which will be an attachment point for your base molding. Hold it an inch or so off the floor. While I have not used this product, it's claim is as good as others, with lower VOC's and good adherence. 10.1 oz. Heavy Duty Adhesive (4-Pack)-HD150-4 pk at The Home Depot

Old 12-18-12, 05:41 AM
D
The foundation is painted, will that affect the performance? Should I use some TSP or sand it down first?

Old 12-18-12, 06:34 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
More worms in the mix! Certainly paint will have an effect on the adhesive's ability to do it's job. I don't paint, so I will have to let our paint guys interject information as to how to eliminate the problem. What type paint is it? Is it Drylok or similar? Is it oil or latex based? They will need to know this.

Old 12-18-12, 07:05 AM
W
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
If this is permitted work you might want to check with your local building department. In my area stud walls in a basement must have a clearance between the wall and the foundation.

Old 12-18-12, 09:07 AM
D
Its latex paint. Looks to be a few coats of it too. Not sure how I would frame this thing if there need to be clearance. I understand the reasoning behind the rule though.

The easy thing to do would be to bypass my footer/ledge and frame from floor to ceiling with clearance to the foundation. But I want to utilize the ledge for storage. One thing for sure is that I wont be fastening the framing directly to the foundation with powder actuated fasteners.

Any ideas out there on how I can finish the wall while creating clearance to the foundation and still being able to utilize my ledge?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: