Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Local code Massachusetts with basement insulation?

Old 02-03-13, 09:08 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Anyone local in MA that can help me- I'm finishing my basement with some added rooms. I have 1" foamboard glued to the walls and will be putting up 2x4 walls, snugged up to the foam and each stud cavity filled in with unfaced batts, then followed with sheetrock. Is this acceptable for local code?

While I'm on this topic, I did consider 2x3 walls instead of the 2x4 to save some money. But it seems the majority here prefer 2x4 for its rigidity and less prone to splitting from screws/nails...really, if I were to go 2x3, is the space savings really all that noticeable? The total square footage I will be having in basement, finished, is roughly 350-400, in 2 separate rooms. tell me if the 1" really makes any difference with the finished "space" overall?

Thanks!

Old 02-03-13, 10:51 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
It's not so much "code" as it is good practice. You would stand off the 2x4 wall from the insulation about an inch to allow for air circulation behind the wall, then install faced insulation with the kraft facing toward the warm side, then install your sheetrock.

You will not notice the difference in the size of the room, but will notice the ease with which the walls can be built using standard 2x4 lumber (PT for the bottom plate and SPF or other non PT wood for the top plates and studs).

Old 02-04-13, 05:44 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wouldnt the kraft facing create a double vapor barrier with the foam insulation already in place?

Thanks for the response.

Old 02-04-13, 11:26 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Wouldnt the kraft facing create a double vapor barrier with the foam insulation already in place?
Not if you do it the way Chandler suggested
Originally Posted by chandler
You would stand off the 2x4 wall from the insulation about an inch to allow for air circulation behind the wall, then install faced insulation with the kraft facing toward the warm side, then install your sheetrock.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: