Common Subfloor Noise

Old 02-08-13, 07:39 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Common Subfloor Noise

I have a condo that shares a common subfloor/wall with the next door neighbors. They have three children who are constantly running and jumping causing vibration and loud "boom" noises in my unit strong enough to make my lamp shades shake . I immediately moved my couch (where the vibration noise would shake me) across the room and this has helped as the vibration seems to lessen as it crosses the carpeting. I have had several contractors over who have said there is insulation in the wall and adding more will do nothing for impact noise. Several suggested insulating along the rim joists (along common wall) in the basement. The one I talked to last night would like to put styrofoam insulation along the rim joists and then fill the rest of the cavity across the room with fibreglass insulation. He says it will not stop the noise entirely but will help as the sound will dissipate as it crosses the room. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-13, 03:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
Aside from choking the crap out of the kids..........nope that's a felony, can't do that.

I am not sure ANY insulation will deaden the impact noise you are hearing. If the lamp is shaking, the structure is suspect, and probably under built. Proceed with caution in that area, as that money may not be well spent, IMO.

Old 02-08-13, 05:34 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
How about being a really good neighbor, and offering to babysit the 3 little monsters for free? You could bring them over to your place, and after the parents leave, lock all 3 in a very small, dark closet for a few hours. Throwing a few heavy mover's quilts over them will muffle the screaming. When you let them out, just remind them that in the future, that's what will happen every time they make your lamp shades wiggle. I'll bet they'll turn into little angels. And it's all (mostly) legal.

But if the foregoing doesn't appeal to you, why not some means of isolating your floor from the neighbors'? Using one of the small zip tools, you could very carefully make a longitudinal cut (parallel to the common wall, just at the face of the wall's sill plate on your side) between all of the floor joists, working from the basement. At the tops of each joist, you could angle-cut using a small reciprocating saw. I think doing so would isolate some of the sounds and vibrations, tending to keep them either in the wall or on the rugrats' side of it in the floor. Temporarily remove all of the base mouldings on your side first, to avoid damaging them where the sawblade pokes through.

Old 02-10-13, 08:56 AM
S
I did talk to a contractor about separating the common floor but he had no solution as to how to deal with the joists.

Old 02-10-13, 09:43 AM
S
I did talk to a contractor about separating the common floor but he had no solution as to how to deal with the joists.

Old 02-10-13, 09:44 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Your contractor was correct if the joisting runs across the rooms. You can't uncouple the subflooring with any success if the joists carry the same vibrations.

Old 02-12-13, 08:52 PM
R
So it sounds like your problem is vibration, not acoustics.
What you need is a vibration-absorbing material underneath your sub floor in a floating-floor style. Ideally you remove the floor down to the joists and put rubber vibration dampeners on the joists, then new subfloor on top. Of course that is a lot of work. More realistically, you remove the top flooring, add vibration matting to the subfloor, then new subfloor floated on top, then carpet over that. So you have a vibration mat sandwich. This is how many studios etc are built.

Old 02-12-13, 08:55 PM
R
Although what you REALLY need to do is offer to install said isolation in the neighbors condo, not yours . Kill the vibes at the source.