Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

basement wall insulation with poured brick forms concrete

Old 02-12-13, 07:19 PM

Hello

I am planning on insulating my basement walls. After a lot of reaearch I have decided to glue rigid foam insulation directly to the concrete walls and stud a wall up against the insulation. Probably with a small gap to make everything straight and plumb.

Here is my concern. My basement walls were poured into a form with a 3d brick print so it looks like I have a brick wall but it is just poured concrete. Is there a name for this?
Since the wall is not flat but full of small ridges I will have tons of air spaces behind the insulation. Would this cause water to build up and mold?

Also I do not have any water leaking issues.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-13, 04:22 AM
Welcome to the forum.
Knowing where you are from would be a big help as building code will play a huge factor in how you insulate and stud.
As for the gaps, they are perfectly fine and may even be benificial. Concrete (even my 1930's poured concrete basement) will allow some moisture to wick through.

Regardless of where you are located, never put wood directly onto concrete. Use vapor barrier, tar paper (or what ever is acceptable by your local building code) between the wood and any point of contact with the concrete.

Old 02-13-13, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the advise. So small air gaps between the basement concrete wall and the rigid insulation is OK. I plan on using the rigid foam as the vapor barrier. Also I am located in central Illinois so temperatures from 0 in winter and 100 in summer are pretty common.

Old 02-14-13, 06:09 AM
Air gaps and vapor barriers can be a problem.

Here is some related reading: Vapor Barrier Guidance — Building Science Information

and http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...study-analysis

I'll let you digest some of that info and answer questions later.

Bud

Old 02-24-14, 12:43 PM
Hoping to get the above poster's question answered as I have the same situation with a brick form basement wall. With all the air gaps between the concrete and glued on xps will it be a problem? I also have 1" xps installed on the outside of the foundation, below grade only.