Water Leaking in Basement Please Help

Old 02-16-13, 07:17 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water Leaking in Basement Please Help

Before I get to my problem I want to say I have lurked around on these boards from time to time whenever I have needed help with home improvement and this place is great!

So about a week ago my 7 yr old niece was playing in the backyard in the snow and for some reason she turned on the faucet in the backyard and forgot to turn it off. We didn't realize it was running until a few hours later.

Now this caused water to seep into the ground and I guess when it had no where else to go it made its way into the basement where the back wall meets the floor.

Approx 1/4 of the basement had maybe a 1/4inch of water and it was making its way down the gradient towards the front of the basement. This is the point where we realized that the faucet was running... Shut it off and dried/mopped as much water off the floor surface as I could and turned the heat up slightly to dry off the water trapped under the laminate floors and carpet.

The laminate flooring has now buckled and deformed slightly and the carpet in the 11ftx11ft room is still damp. The baseboards where the water came from are swollen as well.

Ive had a few contractors in for estimates and I've got mixed opinions. Some say laminate flooring carpeting baseboards and 2 feet of drywall where the water came from needs to be replaced due to possible mold build up.

Another has said laminate and drywall should be fine as is (if you don't mind the buckling) but carpet and baseboards should be replaced as well as the crack in the basement wall (which is concrete btw house was built in 1996) should be repaired by digging from outside the house in the back and injecting sealant. He also said he would install some sort of drain pipe that would lead excess water away from the house and out into the sewers.

I know there probably is a crack in the basement wall as approx 8 years ago there was small flooding in the basement from the same spot when it rained excessively for a few days but there have been no problems since until last week when the water was left running full blast for like 4hrs!

There is no more water coming in the basement just leftover moisture from last week. My question is would I be ok replacing the carpet and baseboards only and leaving the drywall as is and maybe getting a large dehumidifier to get rid of any remaining moisture? Then later on when it's financially more feasible I would replace laminate and get the crack fixed (as it doesn't cause problems normally)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Also, the walls don't seem to damp or swollen. Only the baseboards at the bottom...

Old 02-16-13, 07:54 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Since you're in Canada, maybe a quick call to muscle-underwear guy Mike Holmes is all you need. If he finds enough stuff wrong, he could even feature you and your house in a full-length episode. He would completely excavate the entire foundation, replace all the plumbing, wiring and whatever else he'll find . All at a cost of just $100,000 or so!

OK, now to get back to reality. What you're proposing is right on track. The sooner you get a dehumidifier and some heat down there, the better. I'd even consider holding off on replacing the carpet until you know for sure it's necessary. Speaking from wet-basement experience, you would do well to lift the carpet off the floor in a few places and install a few fans under it. Doing so will dry it out twice as fast, and be less likely for it to harbor mold or develop a musty smell.

And don't forget to keep closer tabs on the little, angelic niece the next time she comes over. Do you own some rope, or maybe a good set of handcuffs?

Old 02-17-13, 10:04 PM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you BridgeMan45 for your help.

Good point about holding off on the carpet as it might be salvageable minus the underlay.

To be fair this is the first time my niece has done something like this poor girl felt terrible after she realized what her carelessness had caused.

I might give Mike Holmes a call as well for my 5 minutes of fame... Not!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: