Basement Wall Covering

Old 04-14-13, 07:14 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Basement Wall Covering

I am finishing my basement which has poured walls. I will stud the walls w/
2 x 4's and I am looking for something to use as a wall covering. I was hoping to not use drywall. I wanted to use a paneling or wainscoting, and paint it. I am having a hard time finding paneling or wainscoting in 4 x 8 ft sheets and thick enough to use w/out drywall that I can paint. Is this unheard of? Any suggestions? Also, I am trying to find paneling or wainscoting that is thick enough to not use drywall...

Last edited by joeponcho; 04-14-13 at 08:01 PM. Reason: add info
Old 04-14-13, 08:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Most of the paneling stuff will be in 3/8" thickness.....too thin to put up alone as they will sag between studs. If you plan on paneling, go with at least 1/2" thick stuff, or upgrade to beadboard planks (3/4"). I do this on 3 out of 5 basements I remodel. Of course people are looking for the rustic look here in the mountains, so it may not be to your taste.

Name:  Davis upstairs bedroom wall.jpg
Views: 1558
Size:  24.1 KB

Old 04-14-13, 08:19 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks Chandler, I'm not seeing any 1/2 inch paneling. Where do I find that? The bead board planks you're talking about are sold in planks & not sheets, correct? It's also quite pricey (like $15/ 3inx8ft board), correct?

Old 04-15-13, 04:24 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
The planks run about $6 per 6" x 8' plank. Not cheap, but easy to install and gives a certain look. If you find a sheet good that you like, one alternative would be to install perlins across all your studwork, probably 3 runs, flat to give you something to fasten the sheets to besides just the studs. It will keep the sheets from bowing between the studs, too. Minimum I would use would be 7/16 T&G vertical beadboard panels, however. The wainscoting materials are really just too thin to try and use as a primary wall covering.

Old 04-15-13, 05:33 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 384 Votes on 340 Posts
I installed the 3/8" bead board plywood on my porch ceiling. To counteract it being thin, I installed extra framing between the ceiling joists. That was probably 10 yrs ago and it still looks as good as it did when I first nailed it up. Only mistake I made was I started at the wrong end and if you look closely you can see the edge of the lip every 4'

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: