help with baffle install

Old 04-18-13, 01:32 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question help with baffle install

Hey guys. Im blowing more insulation this weekend to an existing 6". My house was built in the 70's and has very little room to install the baffles. I tried sliding a 24" baffle in yesterday and it ripped to shreds because it got wedged in between the attic deck and joist. It is 1700sqft and there are 11 soffits in the eaves with a triangle gable on each end. I bought some 16" baffles today and was gonna try to get those down in there. Is it okay to put 16" baffles in even though the c to c is 24"?? Also if the 16" baffles are okay should I add a soffit vent between each and every beam? Last but not least how far do the baffles need to go in or should they be close to the soffit vents? If the 16" are good should i pack the surrounding area with insulation? Any info will help the tight space is really making this hard. I am adding some pictures now to show what i mean. You can see there is only maybe 1" between the planks on the bottom and the attic roof plus the nails hanging through it is making it nearly impossible to put any kind of baffle in there. I think I can get the 16" baffles in there and then add insulation on the sides to protect from the blow in insulation going in and stopping up my soffits. Do you guys think the 16" baffles are okay for this? Thanks, jonathan

Attached Images   

Last edited by jsmithson1983; 04-18-13 at 02:54 PM. Reason: adding pictures
Old 04-21-13, 11:01 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Sorry for the late reply. The basic idea is to keep all insulation out of the overhang and to allow air to flow from the intake vents in the soffit up over the attic insulation to the ridge. How you do it is up to you. One way that can be easier is to remove the soffit, do the work, and then replace the soffit, maybe with a new continuous vent cut into it.

No, 16" baffles won't do what you need with rafters that are 24" oc. Some 1/4" hardware cloth plus some window screening might do it, though.

Old 04-23-13, 04:18 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hey thanks for the reply. I tried putting them in from the vent side also. I ended up giving up on the baffles and I installed r30 unfaced down the sides which kinda made me a barrier to blow against and i pulled it tight so it would not block air flow coming through the soffits. I also have gables on each end of the house and i went ahead and blew 40 bags this past saturday. That upped my coverage to about 15" from 6". I sure hope it helps. I plan on changing my trim and eaves out this summer and will look into the baffles then. Does anybody know how much it should cost to insulate a crawl space with the spray stuff on the sides?? Then batts in the floor joist?? Also how long does the spray last?? Thanks

Old 04-23-13, 09:52 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Does anybody know how much it should cost to insulate a crawl space with the spray stuff on the sides?? Then batts in the floor joist?? Also how long does the spray last?
No, we don't know what a contractor in your area might charge. What I can tell you is that you need to decide whether to insulate the foundation and treat the crawl space as part of the interior, or insulate the floor and treat it as part of the outdoors. Doing both will just cost you money without gaining you anything.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: