Pipe placement

Old 05-23-13, 07:36 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pipe placement

We have an older house, with the laundry space against one uninsulated concrete wall (uninsulated inside, ie). The Boss wants it prettied up with drywall.

I've done framing and drywall and anticipate no problems with that end of it, but have a question. The washing machine and sink are fed by pipes that come down from between the joists above, strapped to a piece of 3/4" plywood fastened to the wall. They are, in other words, essentially mounted to the outside wall. If I just frame around them, leave them in place, they would of course be on the wrong side of the insulation and would freeze next winter. The Boss would prefer not to have the pipes showing, just the taps.

The basement is dry, no cracks in the walls or floor.

Can anybody give me suggestions on how to solve this? Would it be best to run flex water lines down from the ceiling just inside the drywall?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-13, 01:36 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Old 05-23-13, 09:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,180 Votes on 1,093 Posts
This is in a basement.....do the cinder block walls get cold ?

The walls aren't insulated now so you should know if they get cold in the winter. If they don't get cold there shouldn't be an issue putting the pipes in the wall. If you intend to insulate that wall now then you may need to make a change.

You could certainly frame that wall a little deeper and put insulation in and keep the pipes on the house side.

Old 05-24-13, 07:03 AM
T
Thanks - I'm in Alberta. Everything gets cold. Appreciate your advice.

Old 05-30-13, 01:56 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
There's always the option of framing out an insulated chase for the relocated pipes. Be creative, and combine it with an integral storage-shelf area for laundry soap, bleach, fabric softener, etc., or even a place to route the dryer vent. Might be enough to keep the Boss happy, although we all know how difficult that can be at times!

Old 05-30-13, 05:07 AM
N
Received 18 Votes on 16 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
This is in a basement... All below grade?

If the pipe along the wall is below grade, freezing won't be a concern. My basement is uninsulated, unheated (other then bleeding heat from the boiler and pipes) and I have never seen it get below 55'F (12'C), even this past winter when we where in the -40'F (-40'C).

I would however suggest that the plywood be removed, and the pipes run a bit out and away from the wall (probably no further then they are now, but with the plywood removed).
I've used that pipe insulation on my hot water lines in the basement. Not sure if it will ever save me enough energy to pay for itself, but it is a feel good thing.

If these pipes are on a wall above grade, you'll want to insulate around them properly. They may not freeze today because of the ambiant temp in the room, but once they are isolated from the room... They might.