foundation repair...need opinions and options!

Old 06-16-13, 11:40 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
foundation repair...need opinions and options!

Hello...my first post..

We have a house built in 1849 in Connecticut. It has thick stone foundation walls about 5 feet up from the floor. Above that is about 18" of brick.

There is, amazingly, absolutely no water coming in anywhere. The stone part is fine with the exception of some grout needing to be fixed here and there. The house is built of chestnut and is very strong and stable.

The problem is the brick. It is turning into flour. The mortar is fine, the bricks are turning to powder and falling out from the mortar. We had one estimate of $22,000 for removal of brick, pouring cement walls and fixing stone grout. This is way more than we can afford...here is my question.

Would it be possible for us to jack up about 3-4 feet at a time with house jacks, removing all the brick (whats left of it) and replacing that with cinder block? I know it would take time, I'm not concerned about the time, but I would think it would take a lot less money.

Im not concerned about the walls cracking and stuff like that, with the age of the house, they are already cracked. What i need to know is:

Is this do-able? We are pretty home improvement savvy, are very willing to read up on this and find help where needed. We are not rich people, but are determined.

Any and all opinions are welcome!
Thanks!

Old 06-16-13, 02:38 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 750 Votes on 689 Posts
Can the house be jacked and the brick foundation replaced with cement block? Yes

Is it doable? Yes

Now for reality. Do you have somewhere else to live while this work is being done? Then after the house is properly and safely jacked the existing foundation walls will need to be removed, a new footer dug, poured and inspected. Then a new cement block foundation can be constructed.

Is this a DIY project? Yes, but only by the most experienced and well equipped DIY'r.

I would consider a half way approach. Hire a house moving company to jack the house and leave it on cribbing. Then you can do the foundation removal, dig & pour the footer and construct the new foundation walls as you have time. Then have the house moving company lower the house down onto the foundation.

Don't forget to get all required permits. A project this large will probably not occur without being noticed. And with such a major repair you want it properly approved and documented for the resale value of the home.

Old 06-16-13, 05:18 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ive read about all the permits and things..that we will definitely have to do.

I didn't make myself clear enough...when i said raise the house 4-5 feet, i meant in length. Actually we'd just raise the house only as far as needed, maybe an inch or two, just high enough to get the block in and properly mortared in. I'm thinking working about 4' at a time, knocking out the top 18" brick only, replacing with cinder block in that 4' area, letting the house down, and moving on to the next 4'.

Is that better? I don't want to lift the house any more than I absolutely have to.

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: