ODD Crawl Space Expansion Question

Old 07-12-13, 08:15 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ODD Crawl Space Expansion Question

I have a full height (8') basement in my home with a above slab crawl space that measures (10' x 10') in one corner of the basement. This crawl space is about 4' above the slab and seems to be completely filled with pea gravel. I stuck a pole in several spots and it went all the way down the the basement floor.

I have never seen a crawl space like this, and im not sure this is the way it was intended to be after build. the house is 20 years old.

I was thinking of digging up all the pea gravel and cutting out the 4' height wall separating the basement and the crawl space so i can actually make a normal room out of this space.

I still have to completely remove all the gravel to make sure the exterior walls go all the way down, but if that works out then i don't see any reason why i cant do this.

Has anyone heard of someone doing this or done it them selves? i attached a pic for ref

thanks.

Attached Images  
Old 07-12-13, 11:39 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
I'm trying to be negative and figure out what they might have been hiding (Jimmy Hoffa?), but that was in 75. During construction they wouldn't have been aware of any water leaks.

If the walls go all the way down with proper footings, and your back holds out, could be extra space. Only one thing, you have to come back and tell us what you find.

Any pipes, wires, or ducts headed into that space?

Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: