Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

What to paint block wall in basement with? (Read on..)

Old 07-15-13, 01:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I am in the process of tidying up and cleaning up some things in the basement which includes some 12 ft of shelving that once in place will be very difficult to move unless it is coming out permanently. I cleared the space for this to take place and realized that I wanted to paint the wall white (again) so when I do the rest of the basement in a few months, I wont have to move that shelving out.

Our basement is unfinished but the walls are made of the foundation block and there is a slab there. I do not know if this is concrete or cinderblock (how to tell the difference by looking?). House was built in 1943.

The PO obviously painted the block before but I am not sure what with. I am thinking it is probably some sort of block filler or drylock but i do not know as I have not ever used it before. For the most part, when you feel the block it feels "smooth" so to speak. I mean you can feel the pores and ridges of the block of course, but the actual surface feels somewhat smooth, but a little bit chalky too which I know is probably due to needing to be cleaned.

It does not look thin, so to speak, and is white and has maintained the color (i.e. no grey showing through) for 10 years now. That being said, aside from the prepping necessary what can I use to "whitewash" the walls again? On a side note, I do not need to go all out for 2 reason...#1 - We will be needing to get our foundation repaired withing the next couple of years due to some slight buckling on a different wall and #2 - We will eventually be finishing it so you wont be able to see the block.

Would something like Killz work well enough you think? Thanks!

Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-13, 04:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 167 Votes on 148 Posts
Drylok is only for unpainted masonry so unless there is some raw unpainted block - there is no need for drylok. I'd just apply a coat of your choice of latex paint. You'll need to remove any chalk first as paint won't adhere well to chalky surfaces. If you can't remove the chalk, add Flood's EmulsaBond to the first coat of latex paint.

Old 07-16-13, 11:32 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I appreciate the reply. I decided, before I read your reply, that I need not really worry about it too much since I will be either covering over it later on, doing work on the foundation, etc. etc. no sense in wasting too much money. I just bought some Olympic One Ultra white (which really isn't) semi-gloss that I will put up. Heck even one coat will be a definate improvement over what is there now. Again, I appreciate the response. Thanks.

Mike