Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Water condensing between vapor barrier and Kraft Facing

Old 07-19-13, 11:27 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I'm in the process of framing up a couple of bedrooms in my basement, slowly but surely. Previously, I started with bare concrete walls with 2x2 fir strips running vertically, spaced 24" apart. Between the strips I placed R13 fiberglass batt insulation with the Kraft facing (this stuff: "Owens Corning EcoTouch Kraft 3-1/2 in. x 23 in. x 93 in. R-13 Batts in Bag Insulation"). On top of the Kraft paper, I applied a plastic vapor barrier stapled to the fir strips and the joists above.

Last weekend I noticed a couple of places where water looks to have condensed in the space between the Kraft paper and the vapor barrier. I pulled the vapor barrier away, then inspected the insulation - it was completely dry (except for the spot on the Kraft paper). The block behind the insulation was completely dry as well.

Our theory is that with the high due point the last couple of weeks, moist air found its way behind the vapor barrier and decided to condense between the VB and the Kraft paper.

My question is, should I be putting a vapor barrier over the Kraft facing (which I understand is a vapor retarder in and of itself)? Is it a no-no to place a vapor barrier over the top of the Kraft facing (having two vapor barriers touching)? And if it's recommended/required to have a plastic vapor barrier on top of the Kraft, what is the recommended way to prevent water vapor from getting behind the vapor barrier?

Or maybe I just need to look harder for the source of water getting into my basement from the outside?

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-13, 11:37 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The paper is a vapor barrier so you have two - don't want that.