Another insulation dilemma, please advise

Old 07-26-13, 11:19 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Another insulation dilemma, please advise

Thanks for reading this, I am hoping to get some options as to how to proceed with my partially finished basement. My house is in southwest Michigan and is about 8 years old. It has poured concrete basement which measures 60ft x 30ft. About 6 years a few internal wood frame walls were build to wall out the mechanicals and provide some storage space. About 45ft of external wall was framed, insulated, and drywalled. We have a dry basement and haven't had any issues with it, but the insulation was done with fiberglass batts (paper facing towards the interior) and then covered with a poly vapor paper.

Now after researching this, it appears that this could cause huge problems with moisture. Further the rest of the space to be finished was framed and has not been insulated (or drywalled) but electrical has been run. The walls were framed so at the base they are about 3/4" off the concrete but the concrete slopes inward slightly so are only about 1/4" away at the top.

My question is do I have any options to keep the framing in the remaining unfinished space and what would be the best way to insulate this? Also what should be done, if anything, about the already finished walls?

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-26-13, 03:57 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I'm no insulation expert. Some of them should be along shortly. But I think before the fiberglass gets saturated from moisture migrating through the concrete, you should remove the vapor barrier, or possibly install it directly on the exterior concrete walls. And swap out the batts for dense foam panels that are moisture-insensitive. Also, consider reframing the walls with an inch gap between them and the concrete wall faces if the originals were framed up tight to the concrete.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: