egress window

Old 07-31-13, 10:11 PM
egress window

Hi all

I'm in the process of finishing a basement room for my mother in law.. currently there is a very small window so very little natural light. thinking of doing something like this

https://www.google.ca/search?q=EGRES...%3B2160%3B1440

I live in New Brunswick Canada, so winters have lots of snow...are there any concerns regarding water, flooding, etc? in my eyes this is no different from a window with a window well.. just deeper...but maybe I'm missing something

Pablo

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-13, 03:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Not sure what the codes are in Canada, but here, we must install an egress window in all bedrooms in basements for safety's sake, more than for light emission. Installing a well window as pictured will require adequate drainage, so plan on that from the beginning.

Old 08-01-13, 04:32 AM
Being in snow country myself I would be concerned that some of those options would become blocked rather easily with snow and/or ice. The covered ones may not do a lot better if not kept clear. I didn't look at all of the options, but an exit with a vertical structure and small roof over the top might lessen the drainage and snow problems.

Bud