best basement waterproofing contractor Minnesota

Old 08-11-13, 05:35 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
best basement waterproofing contractor Minnesota

Hello
I know this is a D.I.Y. site and I've done many projects over the years, but I'm not really interested in the dusty, dirty, hard manual labor that goes into fixing a wet basement. That said, I'm looking for input on the best waterproofing contractors or the best methods for waterproofing a basement in St.Paul Minnesota.
My daughter's house was built in 1947, we bought it with/for her in October 2011.
Whenever it rains a lot in a short period of time, her basement floor "seeps"
The house has gutters, and there's not much room for improvement in the grading. I've had a few contractors come out and submit bids, which are close in cost. They all claim to have the best system, I'm just looking for some unbiased opinions and feedback.
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Old 08-11-13, 05:38 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
What do the contractors propose to do?

Old 08-11-13, 06:12 AM
B
They all recommend interior drain tile, but each has a different system

NOTE: Use of company names is a forum violation. It may be better to describe each company's methodology

Last edited by chandler; 08-11-13 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Remove company names
Old 08-22-13, 09:12 PM
C
Waterproofing

A common misconception is that interior drain tile is waterproofing, in reality it is more water management since the flow of water is still moving through the walls and floor. Sometimes an underfloor system is required if there is a high water table but this is rare especially with older homes.

If your looking for other options try exterior waterproofing contractors, although I'm not a big fan of digging around the foundation as this might create more issues and is extremely dangerous once the depth is more than three feet. Attaching a rubber membrane to the foundation and bending it away 2 or 3 feet below the surface might seem like a good idea but a lot of the time water enters closer to the footing area or if it is entering higher up on the wall the membrane will just collect more moisture since it has a harder time draining and the problem my be worse.

The other option is hydroclay or bentonite injections, this material is widely used for industrial and commercial waterproofing applications like underground parking garages and subway tunnels. It is known for it's long term durability and is also considered green since it's a natural material. It stays like play-doh in the ground and will self heal over small cracks, and will not dry and flake like tar and asphalt. It is also possible to do smaller areas instead of the entire foundation.

Hope this helps!

Old 08-29-13, 01:35 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If it is a 1947 home in a first tier suburb or so, do what you can to get rid of the surface and downspout water. - You probably have significant exterior barriers (steps, garage, patio and landscaping) to put in the exterior tile that should have been installed.

Interior drain tile can be a DIY project if you plan and do it right. I did a basement with the help of my 12 year old son and some buddies over a 4 week-end period. I did hire a guy with a saw to make the cuts for later and he left a sledge behind to break through when it got easier. The big problem is getting ""stuff" (materials and debris) in and out and that is where the kids can in handy.

The systems are 50% gimmicks plus a few fancy names, but a little research makes it better, cheaper and possible.

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: