Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Where to find a good structural engineer & the basement window fill up

Where to find a good structural engineer & the basement window fill up

Old 09-01-13, 05:01 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Where to find a good structural engineer & the basement window fill up

I have been searching around but not sure where to find a good structural engineer with fair charging.

Here is my situation, I open a window at the basement without permit,(which I know I should not after I have done so that is why I am fixing it right now).

As indicated, when this subdivision was built it was a condition that there be no openings (windows or doors) built on the basement portion of the dwelling, as my area is susceptible to flooding.

And I choose to replace the window with a structurally sound alternative. This alternative may be glass block, however what they would require is a letter from a professional structural engineer stating that the replacement window/structure is structurally sound, that it can withstand the flows and velocity of any flood waters that will occur in the area

I know it will be an expensive decision for us but we decided to keep the window and keep the sunlight. (There was not a single small window of our basement).

Now here is my question, we surely could not afford expensive structural engineer. but as they said "In the meantime, your next step would be to find a structural engineer willing to do the work and provide you with a letter. You may also want price out the cost of this approach vs. Re-bricking the window over." Is that possible we do it separately, like finding a windows and doors company to fill up the windows with glasses bricks and find a structural engineer to write the letter?

Please help it is urgent. Thank you in advanced.
Old 09-01-13, 06:47 PM
GregH's Avatar
Super Moderator
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 9,498
Received 67 Upvotes on 61 Posts
Welcome to our forums!

We do not offer a referral service and the best thing you can do is start phoning around your area to see if any would be willing to take on your project.

Engineers are difficult to get for small projects at the best of times so if you are lucky enough to find one willing to do what you need you can't be too picky about price.
And structurally, glass block would be a very weak link in your basement wall.
Old 09-02-13, 05:37 AM
Group Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 26,795
Received 1,950 Upvotes on 1,746 Posts
Do the research and locate a Professional Engineer in your area. Ask local contractors who they use and you can also ask at lumber yards (not big box stores but lumber yards that cater to professionals). Call the Engineers and ask a few questions about pricing, schedule... and you'll probably get a feel for which is most willing to work on your project.

In my area I can count on engineering starting at about $200-$250 US Dollars for a simple job that does not require a site visit. It's the minimum cost for a Professional Engineer. More complex jobs requiring a initial site visit and one at completion to inspect the work get up around $1'000 pretty quickly but seem to flatten out in that price range. It's just the cost of hiring a professional that will be signing their name to your work. To put costs in perspective. The shop rate at my John Deere dealer is $105 per hour to work on a lawnmower
Old 09-02-13, 08:51 AM
BridgeMan45's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 2,838
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The John Deere analogy makes a very good point--of that $105 an hour, probably less than one-fifth of it goes to the mechanic doing the work. The dealer has lots of overhead costs (and, of course, profit) that consume the remainder. Keep that in mind when shopping for an engineer. If you can find a small-time, independent engineer, often working out of his home, his rates will usually be less than those of a large firm with huge overhead to worry about.

Just make sure the engineer is currently licensed to practice in your state/province.
Old 09-20-13, 10:54 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
After I googling around and keep phoning/emailing to all engineers. Finally got someone really helpful even just on emails. He gave all the information to me without charging anything. And of course I went for him after all no reply/no small jobs/too high price quotes. He already been here for first visit, and I am still waiting for his first sketch/drawing and stuff. Hope everything goes well!

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: