Junction box in ceiling

Old 09-05-13, 11:36 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Junction box in ceiling

I had removed our acoustic ceiling tiles and behind one there was a junction box, pictured in the attached photo. Is this generally a bad idea to keep these things in the ceiling like this?

Attached Images  
Old 09-05-13, 11:44 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 97 Votes on 85 Posts
All junctions have to be in a box and remain accessible; I'll let the pros chime in on whether being behind a ceiling tile would qualify as accessible but I'm seeing staples, which make me think not.

Old 09-05-13, 06:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
If this ceiling was staple up, as evidenced by the staples in the wood, then no, the box is not compliant, since the ceiling is not "readily" accessible. Do you plan on a grid ceiling or another staple up or even sheetrock? With the grid, it is fine to have the boxes like that since they can be gotten to for repairs, etc.

Old 09-05-13, 09:01 PM
S
Probably sheetrock, with recessed lighting. I have everything down to the studs so I'm assuming that I have the opportunity to minimize this kind of stuff. I understand that a grid ceiling would be the best for accessibility though.

Old 09-05-13, 09:55 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
And while you're at it, you should replace the brown appliance/light fixture cord with some code-compliant, grounded Romex.

Old 09-05-13, 10:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,322 Votes on 1,222 Posts
That looks like knob and tube wiring.

Name:  vv.jpg
Views: 780
Size:  37.2 KB

Old 09-06-13, 03:29 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I think Bridge was referring to the zip cord going to the light fixture and apparently back to a switch. That's not part of K&T is it? We don't have K&T here, so I've never worked with it.

Old 09-06-13, 06:54 AM
S
Yeah all wiring that's not grounded will be replaced with grounded. There is no knob and tube, it's just an older cloth sheathing that sort of looks like old knob and tube. There are no porcelain tubes on any runs (you would see a lot of those if it were K&T, we had that at our prior home). Actually the older cloth sheathed wiring is grounded.

BridgeMan45 - I guess the shorter runs that you see are either not compliant or not grounded? I'll replace all of that stuff. I plan to install recessed lighting and will address at that time.

Old 09-06-13, 06:57 AM
S
Hi PJMax, that's actually sheet metal that is screwed between the joists, apparently to hold up the duct pipe. The pic just came through badly from my phone's camera.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: