Water coming through basement floor

Old 09-09-13, 03:08 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water coming through basement floor

I few years ago I had an extension added to the south side of my house, with an extenstion to the basement as well. I am now ready to finish the basement into a play area for kids.

The excavator mentioned that as he was digging the basement, it was a wet area.

A neighbor that has lived in the area for over 50 years once told me there was a small stream that ran through the property. Also, my original basement, had a spot on its south wall (now it is really in interior basement wall since the extension) that was tarred. So, I'm guessing the stream caused some wetness and the wall was tarred as a result. I have never had a problem with this wall.

I have noticed that after a heavy rain, sometimes the floor of my new basement has a couple of puddles. Obviously the wetness is coming through. There is no way this can be addressed from the outside.

I would like to put down floor tiles. The standard, cheap kind. Would I have a problem with this? My existing basement has floor tiles and I have never had a problem. I am assuming that before the extension was added, the wetness would make its way to the original basement and there was neve a problem with it.

Should I just tile over it?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-13, 05:56 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 686 Votes on 633 Posts
No, I would not just tile over it. I would resolve the water issue which is usually best done from the outside. You can install an interior perimeter drain but that is no small project.

Old 09-10-13, 07:35 AM
R
My belief is that it is simply a wet area (high water table?) I dont see how this can be resolved from the outside.

Old 09-10-13, 08:34 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 686 Votes on 633 Posts
It's best solved from the outside by intercepting and draining or pumping away the water before it gets to your basement. Basically you lower the water table around the house. Then couple it with waterproofing the basement walls from the outside and you have a very good chance of having a dry basement.

Doing it from inside is sort of like a leaking boat. A bilge pump can get the water out but it's better to not let it in in the first place. Many people want to just paint something on inside because it's easy but since there has previously been leaking & dirt over the years it's difficult for a paint type product to penetrate and adhere well. And, even if the product says it penetrates it penetrates very little and the water on the outside is constantly pushing to find a pinhole, crack or push the sealant off the wall or floor.

Old 09-10-13, 08:54 AM
R
Sounds like a huge job and, considering it is a basement that will just be a play area, I am inclined to just tile. It is only a couple of spots where there are thin cracks and I dont remember if it actually puddled or it just became damp (like a puddle that had mostly disappeared) or if that is even relevent.

What would be the downside of tiling? If the downside is that tiles in that area might or will loosen, then I can live with that. If I need to reapply some tiles every few years, so be it. Are there any other concerns--dangerous mold, things like that?

Would a floating floor be better?

Im guessing that my original basement had the same exposure to this water before the extension was built and there are is no issue with that floor that has been tiled (probably about 50 years now)