Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Need opinions! Rotted sill, partially rotted joice header by poured concrete

Old 10-13-13, 06:21 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for solutions for water sealing. Problem- Recently moved into a house and upon more in depth investigation to a water problem I noticed the sill and joice header are rotted (7' tore out so far of the sill). This is located on a wall where previous owners had then built on an additional foundation wall to pour a small sidewalk entry to the main door. The new concrete poured is only barricaded against the house with foam. The walkway does have a roof over but still gets wet and apparently just soaked down into the sill over the years. The outside house wall is vinyl sided, can I just use a sealant along the bottom of where the j type molding meets the concrete walkway? Also, if the 2x4 sill is replaced, and the header joist is only rotted on the bottom, will this be okay later on for resale? I plan to also put in 2x10 pieces in between the joices to restrengthen everything. Any input would be greatly appreciated!! The close pic of the joice header rotted half way up is the worst spot, most others are only maybe 1 1/2'' up from the bottom.

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-13, 06:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It's a rim joist not a header joist.
That whole thing is a classic building 101 mistake.
Siding and sheathing never should have been any closer then 6" to any grade.
That outside wall needed to be water proofed under the siding and below grade before the sidewalk went in.
I'm not even see seeing a foundation plate, did it all rot away? (it's the board that was suppose to be sitting on top of the foundation for the rim and regular joist to sit on, It also had to be pressure treated)
No way should this have passed an inspection.