Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Granite and dirt basement - how to finish this right?

Old 10-14-13, 09:17 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I have an 1830's farmhouse in Maine. The basement is granite block walls and a dirt floor which is damp to the touch (about 1/4 of the floor is hastily poured concrete from some past reno). It is in a hill such that the external rear wall is entirely underground (and is moistest) and the front wall is entirely exposed to the outside air (and is coldest). I have sprayed foam on the front and side walls but ran out before finishing.

Ultimately I'd like to turn the space into a workshop with walls I can hang tools on, but it wouldn't need to be a "finished" space. I'm concerned about radon gas and moisture so I want to seal it up correctly without making a mistake which will cause me problems down the road. I've been renovating for 6 years so I'm handy but not a pro.

Should I buy more foam (that stuff is expensive!) or is there a better solution like a vapor barrier to seal up my underground wall from radon and moisture? What should I frame walls with that will hold a pretty good load but won't rot? Should I add fiberglass to the wall frame to supplement the insulation (it's only a variable 1" or so of spay foam)? I'd like to use MGO board for the walls but I can't find it for sale, is fiberglass faced Sheetrock an option? Should I lay a moisture barrier on the floor to mitigate radon and moisture or is that going to hurt more than help?

A lot of questions, I know... Looking for direction and advice, thanks in advance.

Old 10-14-13, 06:28 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Inspect the outside before you do any more work inside. Are the wall moist or is that water entering the cellar. Some pics might help.

Old 10-14-13, 08:03 PM
G

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: