Raised Attic Storage "Legs" "Stilts"

Old 10-24-13, 04:58 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Raised Attic Storage "Legs" "Stilts"

Hello, I'm trying to find out if anyone knows where to get something similar to these in the US:

Loft Storage Stilts

They only seem to be sold overseas and there are no distributors in the US.

I have a split level with about 400 sq. ft. of attic space. I would like to use it partially for general storage (light boxes, etc..). My problem is I also need to do some more insulation up there and can't with the current 2x6's. Right now I got R-19 batts in the space but would like to roll out another layer of R-30 batts criss crossed.

These "stilts" seem like the perfect idea, my only other option I can think of is building a platform with another layer of 2x6's then putting plywood on top so I can have the 2nd roll of insulation uncompressed. Any other ideas? Thanks

Old 10-24-13, 05:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Interesting idea. I've never seen those for sale anywhere around here.
In searching the trades I did just find out that a patent was applied for for them in the U.S. Patent office about month ago.

Maybe that means that they'll be sold here soon.

Old 10-24-13, 06:36 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
You could easily make an acceptable substitute, making "saddles" using vertical 2 x 4 stubs sandwiched in between 2 pieces of 1/2" plywood. Let the plywood extend below the bottom of the 2 x 4s about 4", providing enough space to drill into the existing 2 x 6 ceiling joists, from both sides, after temporarily pushing the insulation aside. With some construction adhesive at all of the joining surfaces, your saddles will be stronger (and I suspect considerably cheaper) than the plastic ones from the UK.

Old 10-25-13, 05:50 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
I do see a problem with single vertical supports as opposed to 16" of osb on edge. Any activity on top will result in some rocking back and forth which will probably pop some screws (nails) below. Verticals would be fine to fill in a larger area, but I would build the perimeter out of osb to stabilize the platform.

Bud

Old 10-25-13, 01:41 PM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Many older house ceiling joists are over-spanned as is, adding storage is risky unless you figure new/existing loads. Best is to add new joists (full-length as existing) on 1/2" spacers over the joists at bearing walls below, not supports wherever to overload existing spans. Installing insulation right up to the new floor (esp. OSB) can also be risky, blocking any moisture from reaching attic ventilation to condense on underside of sheet. Both your R-19 and R-30 are low density insulation, IMO, add some housewrap to prevent wind-washing de-rating the R-value.

Gary

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: