Adding Wood Studs to metal frame (for TV)

Old 11-12-13, 02:27 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding Wood Studs to metal frame (for TV)

Hi All-

Hoping some of you have found an easy way to solve a similar problem.

I have a finished basement with metal studs. I want to hang a plasma TV (~100lbs or 90lbs for the TV and ~10lbs for the mount). I definitely do not want to hang it with toggle bolts in the drywall.

Here are my questions-

1) Can I screw together a wooden stud to the steel stud (attach with lag bolts, toggles etc) on one side of the mount?

2) Can I insert a wooden stud into the steel framing? I am concerned that the weight of the TV will cause the steel frame to bend. Should I be concerned? This is for the other side of the mount. How do I prevent the wood stud from slipping in the track?

3) I need to cut a steel stud to make space for an in-wall cabinet to store my media components . Is this advisable?

Thanks so much!!!

Old 11-12-13, 05:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,476 Votes on 1,364 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You said.... "finished basement" Is the wall already covered or still open ?

You can put wood inside a metal stud. You can bolt or screw a wood stud or wood blocking to a steel beam. The metal studs won't buckle due to the inherent strength from the sheetrock but they don't hold weight bearing screws very well.

The framing is setup on a known center... like 16"oc or 18"oc or 24"on center. If the wall is open you can move a stud to one side of the cabinet.

If the wall is already sheetrocked you should be able to cut a piece of the metal stud out as it's not really load bearing.

Old 11-12-13, 06:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 329 Votes on 283 Posts
In commercial, where they use metal studs A LOT. They use 3/4" plywood for any backing between metal studs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: