Beam Sizing NEED HELP

Old 11-14-13, 07:35 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Beam Sizing NEED HELP

Looking to size 2 beams 10ft apart 20 ft long
the oruginals are 3''x6''x10'with posts at the joints
in the picture the existing are in brown and go from post to post i would like to replace it with on 20ft beam on each side WHERE THE EXISTING OLD BEAMS ARE LOCATED therefore elimanating one post on each side of the room
the house is a standard 30x 40 single story ranch in northen minnesota so snow load is a factor

really could use help in this

bill

Attached Images  
Old 11-14-13, 11:42 AM
You need a structural engineer or your municipal building department ( AHJ ) to specify what is required for YOUR specific condition.

No one over the internet can provide you with a definite answer sight unseen.

Old 11-14-13, 12:28 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 972 Votes on 893 Posts
You can get a general idea by searching online for "beam span tables". You can also visit LVL (laminated veneer lumber) manufacturer's websites to see the span tables for their products. But, anything you do will require a permit and inspections so talking to the building dept. is a good first step. Expect that they may want a Professional Engineer to engineer a solution. Some LVL manufacturers will provide the engineering and documentation with the purchase of their beams.

Old 11-14-13, 06:13 PM
S
I also have a height restriction on the beam I will need I don't want to go more than 10 inches high on it

Old 11-15-13, 05:12 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 972 Votes on 893 Posts
Spanning 20' with a beam only 10" high does make things more difficult. Traditional lumber is not an option and even a LVL beam will be at least 14" high and more likely 16" or 18". To make your heights work you may need a different construction technique or go to steel beams. All of which will require an engineer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: