Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Basement demo and remodel, order of activities... Permits / Demo

Old 12-03-13, 11:32 AM

Hi, first time in here, I didn't see anything similar in search so hopefully you folks can help?

I am purchasing a home where I want to demo existing partial basement, then go ahead and finish the space, my question is what order I should do it, including when permits should be filed?

Do I submit plans for the whole thing, including demo, and get the permit then?

Wiring will need to be removed with the demo, and per the city "Homeowners may not do any electrical work in the City. All work must be done by an electrical contractor licensed with the City"

So should my plans include:
- Demo including having an electrician remove the wiring
- Then plans for the framing, electrical etc and finish, with inspections along the way?

What work would have to be done by an electrical contractor, could I frame and lay out the rough wiring as long as I dont hook it up to the board?

If I wanted to just demo first, including the electrician removing the wiring, would I require a permit first? And would then inspect before or after?

Sorry for a lot of questions... I am new to this... I am in Ozaukee County in WI if that helps...

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-13, 12:26 PM
I think the answers to your questions would be answered by your municipal buiding department.

Do I submit plans for the whole thing, including demo, and get the permit then?

Wiring will need to be removed with the demo, and per the city "Homeowners may not do any electrical work in the City. All work must be done by an electrical contractor licensed with the City"
Typically a demo permit isn't required for something like this --- tearing down a house yes.

So should my plans include:
- Demo including having an electrician remove the wiring
- Then plans for the framing, electrical etc and finish, with inspections along the way?
When your plans are submitted for approval it's customary to include a note stating an electrician will be removing old and installing new electrical.

What work would have to be done by an electrical contractor, could I frame and lay out the rough wiring as long as I dont hook it up to the board?
I think the below answers that.
"Homeowners may not do any electrical work in the City.
All work must be done by an electrical contractor licensed with the City"

If I wanted to just demo first, including the electrician removing the wiring, would I require a permit first? And would then inspect before or after?
Again , tyically you don't require a permit for demo in this case. In your case your municipality requires an electrician to remove the electrical but it shouldn't require a permit for removal.

Old 12-03-13, 03:30 PM
Thank you canuk, that is very helpful. I was hoping for some general guidance before I start calling the municipality, so that's perfect

Old 12-03-13, 03:55 PM
You're welcome and good luck with your project.