Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Crawlspace attached to unfinished portion of basement - insualtion and ground?

Old 12-05-13, 10:51 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,

I just bought my first house, and I'm concerned about the humidity levels and lack of insulation on the walls in the basement. It's a 1570sq ft house with a full walk-out basement. Half of the basement is finished. The unfinished half has a crawlspace attached. The opening is about three feet above the basement floor. It's about 20 feet long and tall enough to walk through at a crouch. The previous owner had plastic sheeting hanging in between the space and the main basement. As a result, there appears to be a lot of growth on the ceiling above. There is some plastic over the ground there, but it isn't covering the entire space. It leaves about 6-8 inches on each side uncovered. From what I'm reading, it looks like closed cell foam boards may be my best option for the walls, but what about the ground? Should I run more plastic and cover all of the dirt? Would it be better to spray foam?

Any insight would be great!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-13, 03:03 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I lived in a house like that but the floor of the crawl space was cement similar to the floor of the cellar. I never had any growth on the joists above. Are there any vents, in the crawl space?

Old 12-06-13, 08:48 AM
There are a couple of vents in the area. But none of it would be visible if it weren't for the wall that was knocked out to access it. Even though water vapor can seep through concrete, it's not as extensive as open ground.

Old 12-06-13, 05:23 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I would cover the floor in the crawl space as much as possible but remove the plastic that separated the two sections. Clean the "growth" & watch it for a few weeks.