Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Is 5/8" OSB board o.k. for walking boards in attic?

Old 12-08-13, 03:11 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I weigh 180 lbs. I plan to gut my attic of insulation and rebuild it with permanent walking boards with about 2 ft open space between the boards. Can I just lay strips of 12" OSB across the 24" spaced joists?

Something like this?
19/32 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. Oriented Strand Board Square Edge-339696 at The Home Depot

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-13, 03:21 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 619 Votes on 572 Posts
Nailing the strips at each joist will help improve OSB walk boards. Better would be strips of a premium material like Advantech or using 2x lumber.

Old 12-08-13, 03:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Of more importance would be the structure of your attic. Joist spacing. Size of lumber. Is it trusses?

Old 12-08-13, 03:41 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It's 24" spaced like this:

Old 12-09-13, 04:50 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 316 Votes on 280 Posts
What's the planned use for the walkway? Just occasional access or will it also be used for storing items? I'd probably insert a 2x between bottom of the trusses to give the OSB a little more support. Your truss system isn't designed for constant use like a normal floor system.

Old 12-09-13, 05:54 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Apparently I'm missing something, 12" strips of 5/8" osb spanning 24" for walking on? Is that what you are proposing?

IMO, not sufficient.

First, air seal the ceiling below per standard guidelines, as you will have difficulty accessing that space afterwards. Second, even if you don't plan on storing heavy items up there, once created those that come later will unknowingly load it up with as much as they can pile in.

Bud

Old 12-11-13, 10:01 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I'd go with something beefier myself. You may weigh 180 now, but in 20 years all the beer, pizza and ice cream could drastically revise that (unfortunately, upwards). I added walking "planks" to a rafter-framed attic many years ago in NM, and I used 3/4" plywood. I also made them all 24" wide, as I was planning to do a lot of work up there, adding a few large (4' x 4') insulated sky-lite light shafts. My plywood was all free, well-used concrete forms rescued from a contractor's burn pile. I'd suggest going wider, as it's too easy to slip off of a 12" walkway and punch holes in your ceiling. Since I planned to eventually add another 6" of blown insulation in the attic, I installed the plywood on 2 x 4 runners, toe-nailed (screwed, actually) to the tops of the ceiling joists, and then laid down fiberglas batts under where the plywood would be placed. Held mine with deck screws every 2' or so on the runners.