Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Dealing with dirt wall on step foundation, steel studs, block, or?

Old 12-13-13, 04:48 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I have a room that opens from the floor, which contains some mechanicals. One side is cinderblocked, the other is a dirt mound that I suspect is there to support the step foundation. Here is going forwards and backwards pictures:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22929[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22930[/ATTACH]

I can fur out the cinder block wall, metal frame, put extensions for the mechanicals on one end, that isn't a big deal. My concern is the giant dirt mound, and how to frame / box it in. Here is a pic looking straight up at it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22932[/ATTACH]

The question I have is, should I block this side up with cinderblock, then frame against it, or is it possible to get away with just fastening to the concrete floor with metal framing, concrete board, that, and call it a day? Either way I am going to tile on it.

I am concerned with dirt directly against metal/concrete board, in the sense of moisture and whether it will rust. Maybe plastic sheeting over the mound first?

edit: the house is on a hill

Attached Images    
Old 12-14-13, 03:03 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I'd consider digging a footer and laying block part way up. My brother in law used to have a similar basement and he blocked up so far and then poured a concrete ledge - it came in handy for storage.

Are the mechanicals sitting on dirt or is there a slab? Any special reason for installing tile?

Old 12-14-13, 09:05 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Why do you mention furring out the cinder block wall? Are you considering sheet rock? Are you trying to turn this into finished space?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: