What to do w/basement walls on small budget

Old 01-03-14, 01:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What to do w/basement walls on small budget

Im in the process of finishing my basement and could really use some help here. To start, I have bare concrete walls...I bought a gallon of drylok and thought bout leaving the walls bare, but then after seeing some pics of "raw scratch" stucco, and fell in love. But, ive heard you can't apply stucco OVER top of drylok???? So before i start, i want to make sure this is in fact true. Only reason why im dryloking is of course to waterproof the basement. (my house is only 6yrs old) I do not have leakage problems as of yet. Any advice would def be appreciated!!! thank you!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-14, 02:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Drylock is right next to worthless when it comes to waterproofing. Any waterproofing must be done from the outside to be effective. If you like the stucco effect and your basement is below grade a good primer followed by your scratch and subsequent coatd may look fine. Let our paint guru weigh in on this 'cause I don't paint.

My concern would be insulating the walls. Do you have plans for that?

Old 01-03-14, 02:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 139 Votes on 124 Posts
IMO drylok is a must if you paint any below grade masonry. In order to apply stucco over drylok or any paint you need to first apply some type of bonding agent .... so if you intend to stucco the interior walls - don't paint them!

Do you have any moisture issues? As Larry mentioned, they are best addressed on the exterior!

Old 01-05-14, 08:53 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
My basement actually has almost ZERO moisture and the outside has been waterproofed when it was built. I decided to ONLY dryok the "storage area" and leave the main area OPEN so i can stucco it. A good portion IS insulated So im not worried there....

Old 01-05-14, 01:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 139 Votes on 124 Posts
Many will just apply a coat of drylok and call it good but it will wear and look better longer if you apply a coat of finish paint over the drylok ...... but that's the painter in me talking