Redirecting Seepage in the event of emergency?

Old 01-04-14, 09:42 AM
Redirecting Seepage in the event of emergency?

I recently bought a new furnace. Its in the basement.

I haven't lived here long enough to know the true history of water/possible seepage in the basement. I have seen a tiny amount that is evidence that it could occur.

So I would like to protect the furnace. Its on like 2 or 3" plastic blocks but ....

Im thinking of using an adhesive to affix a 2x4 barrier on the floor around the furnace. I would caulk the seems and hope if water or seepage does come it would redirect it awat from the new furnace.

Does that sound like a good idea?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-14, 02:31 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 140
If your furnace is already up on blocks 2 or 3" high than a dam made of a 2x4 offers no benefit. A 2x4 is not actually 2" thick. It's 1 1/2" so your furnace will still be protected by it's blocks after your 1 1/2" dam has been overtopped.

Old 01-04-14, 02:51 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 126
Is there a floor drain in the basement? Sump pump?

Old 01-04-14, 03:03 PM
If your furnace is already up on blocks 2 or 3" high than a dam made of a 2x4 offers no benefit. A 2x4 is not actually 2" thick. It's 1 1/2" so your furnace will still be protected by it's blocks after your 1 1/2" dam has been overtopped.
I was all set to go to the hardware store when I figured out the same thing while stopped at a traffic light this afternoon....

plus the entire basement some 1300 sqft would have to fill to 3 inches before it touched the bottom of the furnace .... or so I think.

My 2x4 idea has been debunked.