Basement Stairwell ceiling

Old 01-05-14, 11:28 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement Stairwell ceiling

I am finishing my basement, and I only have the stairwell to finish, more specifically, the stairwell ceiling. I have a two storey house with a u-shaped stairwell going up, and another u-shaped going directly below. I am unsure of how to finish the stairs so that I can hang drywall for the ceiling, since it is exposed stringer and steps. I have attached a picture

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-14, 11:40 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
#1 The stairs and landing should have had at least construction treads so someone would have something to stand on while working.
The ceiling was suppose to be done first, then the top piece of drywall on the walls.
That landing has me totally confused.
That top riser looks like at a totally different height.
What's that notched 2X doing there?
How do you plan on covering up where those skirts are notched out like that?

Old 01-05-14, 11:41 AM
Group Moderator
Received 135 Votes on 127 Posts
Looks pretty jacked up. Maybe the best thing you could do at this point is to frame a false ceiling below it, provided you can do that and still maintain the minimum of 80" of vertical clearance that code requires in a stairway (headroom must be a minimum of 80" to ceilings, as measured vertically [plumb] from the front edge of the stair nosing to the ceiling).

By putting a 2x4 ledger on each wall, then frame between the ledgers, you would then have a nice surface on which to hang the sheetrock.

Old 01-05-14, 11:54 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I agree w/ Brant. Just frame it up using ledgers on side and intermediate joists and apply sheetrock. I question strength of steps with only side stringers and not a middle one.